Search engine marketing refers to Marketing to internet users through natural search engines result page listings and paid advertising placement. Usually referred to as SEM, this marketing strategy is usually used in describing immediate, money-backed portions of search engine marketing which commonly takes the shape of pay-per-click (PPC), cost-per-click (CPC) search engines results pages in one form or another.
Search engine marketing is an industry which is spearheaded by Bing, Yahoo and Google which is often broken down to 2 segments; free (organic) segment and the paid (inorganic) search engine marketing. Free search engine marketing, also referred to as search engine optimization (SEO), uses both off-page and on-page strategies to help the search engines to better understand the relative significance of websites` pages. Search engine advertising, also called pay per click advertising (PPC), and are advertising platforms that search engines usually provide to advertisers for them to place their advertisements. Due to the growing demands and complex nature of “search,” it is often hard to determine good SEO or PPC experts from the bad SEO or PPC salesmen.
The concept behind Search Engine Marketing is relatively simple: when a business person or consumer searches the Website either by clicking through directories he or she is in the “hunt mode.” This psychological state is unique in that it signals to the both the search engines and marketers that the particular person is looking for information often of an indirect or direct commercial nature.
Marketers usually understand that the “hunt mode” means the searcher might be at the beginning, middle or at the end stages of the buying cycle. When a person is researching a service or a product to satisfy immediate or even future needs, they are normally in an unusual state: they desire to have relevant information and they are open to acting and digesting on the information at their fingertip, all of which are made possible by the use of a search engine. This makes results from search engines to be among the best sources of targeted traffic; whether the traffic originates from the “organic” unpaid search listing or the paid advertising listings.
Many marketers usually think of the search engines as delivering the Search Engine Result Page (SERP) or search results in the form of pure textual results. The truth of the matter is that search results can take any mix of audio, images, text, video or other file formats. In the U.S, search engines do not simply include Google, Bing and Yahoo but they also include commerce websites like Amazon and eBay, as well as the specialty search engines like Hulu and YouTube for video and restaurant search engines, “people” search engines like LinkedIn or the online business directory for local results that includes Internet Yellow Pages, IYPs and websites like Angie’s List, Yelp and others.
All search engines make use of algorithms in an attempt to provide the most relevant results to every searcher, taking into account the search keywords used as well as the searcher’s device, location, operating system, the previous search behaviors and even identity. The better results that any search algorithm for organic (unpaid) is, the happier the searcher will be with the results because the search engines usually compete for the attention, ears of searchers and eyeballs. As a result, there`s great incentive for constant innovation and improvement.
To leverage the power that is contained within these targeted traffic sources, marketers should understand how to effectively make use of both organic and paid SEM and also have realistic expectations concerning what they can expect each and every methodology to achieve.
Search engine traffic is unique in below ways:
- Search engines traffic is refers to a non-intrusive method of marketing. Majority of the online and offline advertising normally intrudes on the audience thus interrupting their current activities. Search is very unique in tapping any searcher at the exact moment he/she is seeking a solution or knowledge.
- Search engines traffic originates from the voluntary, audience-driven search behaviours. This means that the visitors from a given search results link do not only selected your contents (link, video, image or other formats) from your peers but they also choose the search query which resulted in your contents being shown.
- Organic search listings usually combines best practices of creativity, usability, technology, copy and online promotion. This is so because a lot of search engines normally base their relevancy algorithm on a combination of the texts that they see on pages, sites, videos or images and then combine the content`s information with external elements like links with user preferences that have been demonstrated over time for a content source, domain or specific content elements.
- Some marketers have a belief that there exists tricks which will improve the relevancy of websites within the search engine which is spider/crawler-based. The tricks not only fail to work but a lot of them result in negative penalties as the engine takes relevant measures to punish the search marketers who are seeking to manipulate relevance and ranking.
Paid search advertisements and listings have continued to play an increasing role in most minds of marketers due to their increasing screen real estate especially on mobile devices.
The following are the common types of paid listings:
- Paid placement
- Shopping search
- Paid inclusion
- Video search ads
- Product listing ad
- Local search ads
Does “Search Engine Marketing” Include SEO?
Search engine marketing is a broader term than Search engine optimization (SEO). Whereas SEO mainly aims to providing better organic search results, on the other hand SEM helps you to successfully target the users of search engines through advertising links in the search results in addition to the organic search so as to send targeted traffic to your site.
SEO and SEM do not refer to competing services. SEO is usually considered to be a subset of SEM services. Currently, if you need to conduct businesses on the Internet, you have to be visible in both advertised and organic links, which means you need to have both SEM and SEO.
Search engine advertising
Generally, pay-per-click (PPC) search engines programs like Google AdWords are one of the forms of search engines advertising. Search engines advertising includes pay-for-placement advertising (PFP), sponsorships at times contextual advertising.
Successful search engine advertising campaigns depend on 5 main factors:
- Keyword selection
- Ad copy
- Bid price
- Effective landing pages
- Ad distribution
Search engine marketing services offer 3 core benefits for your businesses:
- Productivity – By providing series of keyword management, automation tools and keyword search tools, it enables you to accomplish a lot of search engine marketing less time with clearer workflow prioritisation.
- Relevance – It creates a system of daily keyword suggestions and arms you with negative keywords tools which help you in consistently refining your keyword list. This will help you in improving your search engine rankings and in turn better earnings.
- Value – SEM is well designed to be able to discover new and inexpensive keywords advertising opportunities. The keyword advertisement software will secure algorithmic pricing advantages for you from search engines. This helps in saving you money by ensuring low minimum bids and also saves time that could otherwise have been spent searching and analyzing manually.
All types of marketers are capable of benefiting from a dialogue with searchers; whether the searcher faces a crisis, requires information or is ready to make purchases. If you are not in the search results at the time your prospects and customers are searching, then be assured that your competition is. You might lose those customers or prospect forever to your competitors who are present. Sounds scary? You bet it might be and billions of dollars in search services and advertisement revenue are driven by the significance of search visibility: being in the right places in the search engine results page at the perfect times.