FACEBOOK MARKETING COMPANY
On January the 4th in 2008 at 3am in the morning, a Columbian man named Oscar Morales set up a Facebook group called “One Million Voices Against FARC.” FARC is a guerrilla group who had consistently kidnapped and ransomed people in Columbia for many years. In particular, a woman named Clara had been kidnapped 6 years prior and had given birth to a little boy named Emmanuel whilst in captivity. Emmanuel was now 4 and had never known what freedom is like.
FARC had promised to release Emmanuel in time for Christmas day in December 2007. They had announced this all over the place, in the news and in Columbia. Columbia was in an ever present place of fear and sadness over the plight of FARC hostages. Pain had been driven deep into the psyche of Columbians. As a result, when people heard the news that Emmanuel was to be released it was received joyfully and with great enthusiasm. It was seen as a final ray of sunshine, a miracle, a breakthrough from tyranny.
However, when Christmas 2007 came and went, Emmanuel wasn’t released. In fact he wasn’t even released for New Years Day a week later. Then the news story broke, that FARC didn’t even have Emmanuel in custody, he had been released some time before Christmas to a village caring for him as he struggled with illness. So FARC had lied about even having Emmanuel in the first place and so the miracle of his Christmas release was all an elaborate sham.
The hope that Columbia had felt turned to even greater anger, frustration and despair. This was the back drop to Oscar setting up a Facebook group at 3am. He went to sleep and woke up at 9am then went to check on how the Facebook group was going. Oscar had about 100 friends of his own all of whom he had invited and he probably expected at least 50 of his friends to join the group. However it had already hit 1,500 members.
He hadn’t even had a chance to explain this to his extended family, so during the day he told his family and asked them to invite all their friends to join the group as well. That afternoon it had hit 4,000 members. Oscar’s Facebook group had gone completely viral. Oscar then started to get to know some of the more engaged members of the group.
Together they started planning a march against FARC. The group felt the march should be held in Bogota, Columbia’s capital, but Oscar felt they also should be held in other cities including his home city called Barranquilla. One month later the Facebook group had organised the march in his home city of Barranquilla, all over Columbia and all over the world.
Oscar expected 50,000 people to turn up to his home town, but 350,000 people had turned up! Worldwide 10,000,0000 people had marched against FARC. This was all organised within a month through Facebook Marketing. Even today, this group has over 641,000 members.
The president of Columbia had been working on breaking down FARC’s organisation for a long time, however, the demonstrations seemed to have their own unique effect. Even before the marches had occurred FARC had released three hostages and they were all former Columbian congressman. Throughout 2008 many more hostages were release and rescued from the clutches of FARC.
“Facebook has the power to do wonderful things in society and in your business.”
- Integrity brings the Win-Win: We need to show the best possible face of your business or your organisation both accurately and honestly. Integrity is one of our businesses core values and it is something we like to all bring to our Facebook campaigns.
- Transparency: Transparency means that we at The Online Co. provide transparent feedback on how your campaigns have gone, how your Facebook Page is going, how many people have liked your page, what type of people like your page, what sort of reach you have etc…
- Return on Investment: If you have invested let’s say $1000 in marketing on Facebook what has that bought back to you? Has it bought you back $1,000 worth of sales? Has it bought you back $500 worth of sales? Has it bought you back $2,000 worth of sales? Return of investment is an important consideration when Facebook marketing.
- Reach, Clicks & Engagement needs to lead to sales: The only reason you are marketing in the first place is to grow your business. Sometimes this happens directly, perhaps through someone coming to your website and making a purchase. Other times this happens indirectly such as when the become a fan of your Facebook page and purchase something later.
- Early Starter: I was a very early starter on Facebook, I personally joined Facebook in 2007 and it had only been around for a few years by then but not many people in Australia had picked it up yet. So it wasn’t long after that I became an online marketing consultant and that’s when I started offering services for Facebook Marketing. Like I said, at that point there weren’t as many Australians on it then as there is now and a whole lot of people didn’t really get it, they didn’t really understand it. So we set up some businesses pages and got them rolling. The rest is history.
- Facebook Management: Facebook Management is the process of updating your Facebook Profile on a daily or multiple times per day basis. We use a mixture of messages and do things such as putting competitions online, write funny quotes and post funny pictures. The aim is to get engagement so that people are aware of your brand. This increase in branding leads to an increase in sales and loyalty.
- Facebook Marketing: I’ve been doing this for about 6 years now and have seen a lot of changes. The platform has improved immensely over that time and now works better than ever to get you.
- 10,000’s of Likes: The highest we have had a client get to is over 50,000 likes and we have had a number of clients over 10,000 likes as well as clients in all different kinds of ranges below that. The more likes the more free exposure you can get for your brand.
Some Types of Facebook Marketing
- Desktop News Feed: Is an ad that actually shows up in your Facebook news feed. It sits there with all the other notifications from your friends and it’s the most clear way to see your Facebook ad.
- Mobile News Feed: Is pretty much the same thing as on the desktop but it’s on a mobile device.
- Right Hand Side: Often on the side of your feed you will see another bunch of ads.
- Mobile Apps: This is basically advertising mobile apps.
These Facebook marketing methods are very clever stuff!
Different Facebook Campaigns:
- Boost your posts: This is taking a post and promoting it to people who may like it, so you can get more engagement from people who may potentially like your product or service.
- Promote your page: We can promote it to get you loads of likes! Loads of likes means greater brand awareness and brand loyalty.
- Send people to your website: This is where you might want to send people to your website to read an article of yours or to come and buy something of yours.
- Increase conversions on your website: This is similar to sending people to your website, but we are wanting to measure what the people are doing on there. This may be filling out an email signup, contacting you with a web form or buying something.
- Get installs of your app: Getting people to download your app. Simple as that!
- Raise attendance at your event: Promote your event. Facebook is particularly good at getting more people to come to your event.
- Get people to claim your offer: You can promote an offer, such as 50% off your products.
- Get video views: You can promote a video, if you want to inform people about something.
- Custom audiences: This is where you get your data base and put it into Facebook and get Facebook to show ads to people who you might have already done business with.
- Lookalike lists: This will take your custom audience and its technology to develop people who are similar to what you are already promoting.
- Remarketing: is where you gather people who have been to your website and you show them the ads.
Some stats and benefits:
- 13,200,000 users in Australia alone
- Highly Targeted Marketing
- Create a custom list from your existing database
- Target by location, age, gender, language, interests
- Lookalike lists find more customers similar to yours
- Target Behaviours such as mobile device users, online purchasers & Facebook admins
- Choose a Budget that works for you
- 9 million Australians use Facebook EVERY DAY (7.3 million on mobiles)
- Users have an average number of 338 friends to share information with
- 84% of all online Americans 18 – 29 and 45% of those over 65 use Facebook
- Photos are the most liked media on Facebook
If you would like some help promoting your business on Facebook, please fill out the form and we would love to chat with you.